Guilty Pleasure

Friday, January 15, 2010

My guilty pleasure in life is the OMG! page of Yahoo's website. No, I'm not really into Hollywood or celebrity stuff. I have no fashion sense and I couldn't tell you the last time I saw a show on a channel other than Nickelodeon. (Well that's not true...my husband and I are addicted to House. Hugh Laurie just does it for both of us. What can I say? ha.) I digress. Anyhow, once a week I have to check the "Week in Photos" on OMG! The week of Christmas and the week after, they didn't do the week in photos at all. And I admit; I panicked a little. Even though sometimes I have no clue who the people pictured are, I still need my weekend update.

Anyhow, a week or so ago I came across an article about Kate (from Jon and Kate Plus 8). I've never seen the show, but have heard enough about it in conversations or  have caught pieces of the drama on a morning show while running on the treadmill at the rec. Seems like quite a mess was made on the show, and it's just plain sad. The article I read was about Kate and her new hairstyle. My first thought was WHO CARES!? But, yes, I read on. Apparently, Kate spent $5,000-$7,000 on hair extensions and was referred to as Kate Clean Slate. Really? Wait, seriously? It's sickening to me to think that she's glorified for spenting mad cash on her ridiculous hair calling it a clean slate. You can't just start over and pretend like you haven't hurt your kids and your reputation and ruined your marriage. You don't just get to wipe the dry erase board of your life and start over with no consequences. I am definitely not saying that I haven't made selfish decisions or screwed things up. I've hurt people by saying things or by not saying things. I am as guilty as anyone; we're all imperfect. We're all in the same boat. But I'm wondering why some people care about that and realize it...while others don't. Read the article and let me know what you think. Am I way off?

I guess I can be the devil's advocate regarding my own post. Thankfully, God lets us start over with a clean slate all the time. And forgives us when we ask. Geez - I can't write all this and then leave that out. I'm thankful that I can start over and try to do better. And ask for help in trying to do better. Maybe I'll change my tune in the middle of writing this by saying that I hope Kate does well with her new slate. And asks for help. And does right by her children. I do hope that for her. And I hope that her new hair extensions help too. (Okay, okay I know that was mean, but I had to get that in there.) Sorry, Kate!

2 comments:

Jen January 19, 2010 at 12:17 PM  

Hi!!!!

I have mean thoughts about Kate (and Jon) as well. But I had to respond bc of your part about God giving us a clean slate all the time. I love that. I saw a lot of New Year posts where people were excited about having a clean slate, and I realized I don't get as excited about the New Year, because I do have the sense that every minute is a clean slate and a new opportunity to do better. Love it.

kings to you January 25, 2010 at 7:19 PM  

thank you!!! you made my day, jen! : )

  © Blogger template Writer's Blog by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP